Step1: Select the station
The station can be selected either using the drop down menu or by locating it on the map in the center of the page.
Step 2: Select the year
The drop down menu lists only those years for which simulation results are available. In case observations are available for comparison, this is indicated in the drop down list as well.
After the selection of station and year the footprints and CO2 time series will be loaded.
Step 3: Select the CO2 components
By default the STILT-simulated CO2 concentration time series (blue line) will be shown and - if available - observed CO2 (black line) will included as well. Values correspond to the left hand side (primary) y-axis.
In the model simulations the contributions from different fluxes can separated:
- Contributions from natural fluxes co2.bio, split up into uptake of CO2 by photosynthesis co2.bio.gee and release of CO2 by respiration co2.bio.resp.
- Contributions from anthropogenic emissions co2.fuel, split into:
- fuel-type specific contributions from burning of coal, oil, gas, and biofuel (co2.fuel.coal, co2.fuel.oil, co2.fuel.gas, co2.fuel.bio)
- or emissions from different sectors: energy production, industrial processes, transportation, and other processes (co2.fuel.energy, co2.fuel.industry, co2.fuel.transport, co2.fuel.other).
- Contributions from sources and sinks outside the model domain co2.background
Note the following relations between the components:
co2.stilt = co2.bio + co2.fuel + co2.background
co2.bio = co2.bio.gee + co2.bio.resp
co2.fuel = co2.fuel.coal + co2.fuel.oil + co2.fuel.gas
co2.fuel = co2.energy + co2.industry + co2.transport + co2.others
Step 4: Animate the footprints
By default the footprint for the central time step of the time series is displayed on the map. You can step through time with and or display a continuous animation of the footprints with .
- Zoom in on time axis to display selected range of the time series
- Zoom in on concentration axis
- Zoom in on footprint map
- Show / hide station symbol on footprint map